Writers...

 As a writer, have you ever come to an infinite point where you feel that no combination of words can adequately convey your ideas?

In the past, as I experimented with different forms of writing, there was a sense of being comfortable in whatever snippets I could muster. It didn't really matter if anything made complete sense to me or anyone, or not. That was fine.

Then I got on a stream-of-consciousness roll for a while, starting with seemingly fully formed concepts and an outpouring of words I could edit later. It was great, way too many pages though, and I couldn't format it into a logical sequence, no matter how I tried. It became overwhelming. (I don't think in words or images, that's why writing or talking is helpful to define what I'm actually thinking or feeling, however limited and incomplete the communication may be)

But now, it's nearly impossible to get any one idea out... It's not as though I've hit a wall or have some block, it's more like there's too much information happening all at once, and language doesn't cut it anymore - As soon as I can get some words together, expressing whatever concept, I immediately realize that its polar opposite is also there, and then many fragments start streaming off into other concepts and their oppositions. I feel like every sentence is contradicted before it's even finished, as if everything is valid all the time, which kind of negates the point of saying anything!  

I took a break from writing for a bit because of the dilemma, and this is the first thing I've managed to get out. At least I've now written something down.

Perhaps that's all I needed to do. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Forged in Fire

Day One - The Backstory

Holding Space